I grew up around plenty of horses. I received my first pony at 11 months old. My dad and grandpas always had horses, and I loved riding so much. When I was a teenager I started following horse racing, and it has been a dream of mine to attend a big horse racing event. One festival that’s on my bucket list is the Cheltenham Festival. Four days of racing, lots of money and an absolutely electric atmosphere, it sounds like an absolutely awesome experience. Originating in 1860, the Cheltenham Festival is one of the best horse racing festivals in the world, and it takes place this week.
According to some of my friends who have previously attended, it has also become a huge place to show off your fashion. You can rub shoulders with celebrities and the rich and famous wearing your very best if you choose to do so.
I have put together a list of fashion tips appropriate for the big festival events like the Cheltenham Festival. Some of these tips pertain to any type of event where “showing off” is appreciated.
Cheltenham doesn’t have a specific dress code, so it’s okay to be plain and simple or go all out with your high fashion faves. “Dressing up” is up to you!
Fashion Do’s & Don’ts:
- DO dress according to the weather. Anyone familiar with the British weather knows that March can be unpredictable. One year it’s like being in the Mediterranean and the next it’s covered in snow and ice. The cute little Summer dress won’t be so cute if you’re freezing.
- DO wear layers. An elegant cashmere scarf can pull double duty, keeping your warm and giving your outfit an extra pop. A scarf or light sweater can be removed if you are too warm.
- DON’T neglect your feet. Those beautiful stilettos may look great with your dress, but they won’t be so pretty if the area is muddy or icy. Looking worth a million dollars isn’t worth the risk of your feet killing you after walking all day, either, or worse, taking a fall!
- DO consider the location of where to bet on Cheltenham 2017 if you plan to do so. Most of the betting areas are a long walk up a slope from the main area. Tight fitting dresses may make walking up the slope difficult. Comfortable shoes are also best.
- DO wear that awesome hat! Hats are a big deal at many horse festivals. Just make sure you pick out the best one for practicality. Wear something warm to suit the weather.
I’ll be sitting at home this year dreaming about the day I get to visit the Cheltenham Festival, thinking about the perfect outfit I will wear when I finally get the chance to cross it off my bucket list. When that day comes you can bet I’ll take advantage of the chance to dress up and look pretty, but I’ll remember to do it in a practical way!
Latest posts by Jennifer M. (see all)
- WILD KRATTS: PANDA-MONIUM Released on DVD Today! - April 11, 2017
- 4 Tips to Help Your Child Cope With Childhood Anxiety - March 27, 2017