On Mother’s Day we focus on our mothers, grandmothers and if we have children, ourselves. It is a holiday to honor mothers. Gifts, such as flowers, jewelry, greeting cards and a meal out have become the norm. But, why not support mothers this Mother’s Day? Every Mother Counts is non-profit that helps us do so.
An organization dedicated to making pregnancy and childbirth safe for every mother, their campaign, Every 2 Minutes, seeks to bring attention to mothers in need around the world. The meaning of this mission comes about because every two minutes a women is lost during childbirth.
“When a child is born, a mother is born.”
These deaths are preventable. And the numbers behind this project are overwhelming – 800 women die every day, 2 of those women dies in the United States, 90% of these deaths are preventable. Remember that when a mother dies, a child becomes an orphan.
We can help support mothers this Mother’s Day and Take 2 Minutes to Take 2 Actions:
- UPLOAD 2 photos of the day you were “born” a mother on our Facebook Contest page through Facebook http:/bit.ly/QMhgIA or #Every2 your pics on Twitter or Instagram
- RUN 2 miles using the Charity Miles app (http://www.charitymiles.org/)
- SHARE 2 facts about maternal health on 2 of your social media networks using #every2
- DONATE 2 dollars to Every Mother Counts https://secure.donationpay.org/everymothercounts/
- GIVE 2 gifts by making 1 purchase from one of our partners that will generate a donation to EMC http://everymothercounts.org/shop/
- INVITE 2 friends to Take 2 actions of their own
Every Mother Counts is focusing on three barriers to help put a stop to these tragic losses:
- Transportation – Women need a way to get to health care providers during pregnancy for prenatal care and for childbirth
- Education – Skilled health care workers are needed to provide care for women
- Supplies – Lack of medical supplies and equipment add to poor health care
Bringing awareness to these needs, raising money and distributing where it are some of the goals of this nonprofit. Christy Turlington Burns, a model best known for representing Calvin Klein, is the founder of Every Mother Counts. Her work as a maternal advocate began when she lived through a serious complication after giving birth.
I love this quote from Ms. Burns,
“Each preventable death is one death too many.”
Will you take the 2 Minute Challenge to support mothers this Mother’s Day. Start now!