On International Women’s Day (Saturday, March 8th), we come together to change the lives of women and girls around the world. This year the Global Impact Woman & Girls Fund provides a way to make this goal easier. Global Impact, who is sponsoring this post, has harnessed four of the most respected international charities working on these issues to make a larger, collective impact to help women and girls; CARE, World Vision, Plan International and ICRW. “Your contributions go directly to supporting real and meaningful work to improve the lives of women and girls.”
Poverty, especially in developing countries, negatively affects women from birth. Global Impact recognizes this fact and wants to make a real difference. Being poor limits opportunities for women. It also creates barriers for safe, fulfilled lives.
On the fund’s website, www.togetherforwomen.org, Global Impact has shared individual success stories that not only provide proof of their charity partners’ work, but sheds light on real stories of women and girls who are affected by poverty. They are personal and touching.
Here is a reminder of some of the most tragic facts that unfairly impact women and girls:
- Two-thirds of the children denied primary education are girls.
- Women make up 65% of the nearly 1 billion people who cannot read or write.
- Women control less than 10 percent of the world’s assets yet perform two-thirds of all labor to produce more than half of the world’s food.
- An estimated 60% of women have been physically or sexually abused.
- Women and girls make up 98% of human trafficking victims.
- Each year about 300,000 women suffer a preventable death during pregnancy and childbirth.
- 1 in 9 girls is forced into marriage before her 15th birthday.
We, along with Global Impact and its partners, can change the fact that women and girls suffer indignity, powerlessness, cruelty, the feeling of being worthless. Their fund focuses on these issues by working with these well-known and successful international non-profits. Each one adds a piece to the puzzle to fight poverty, especially in women. Global Impact also partners with major corporations and other groups. Now they are asking you to help. Make a donation to continue their great work.
On this International Women’s Day, together we can change women’s lives.
This post is a part of a sponsored awareness program that seeks to help women and girls everywhere live healthy lives wherein they are protected, respected, educated and empowered to reach their potential. Visit www.togetherforwomen.org.