I’m a fanatic about keeping my family healthy. Food safety at home is one of those things I put at the top of my list. During the summer we cook and eat outdoors more often. With the higher temperatures, bacteria can grow quickly in food. And food poisoning is more prevalent.
What do we do to keep our families healthy? Many of us know the basics of food safety, but learning the details will certainly help. Putting them into practice is even more important. The Food Safe Families campaign was formed to help us do both.
The information is broken down into steps that are easy to remember and keep the fun in summer and enjoying food. This is the perfect time of year to focus on food safety at home, especially with the fourth of July coming up. Barbeques, outdoor parties, picnics at the beach are ways we celebrate this national holiday. So let’s keep our food, families and friends safe by following the Four Steps of Food Safety:
- Clean: Always clean cooking tools, your hands, and cooking surfaces with soapy water. Before eating, everyone needs to wash their hands, even the adults. For the outdoors, keep disinfecting wipes handy.
- Separate: Raw meat and vegetables don’t go together! When preparing to cook, use separate dishes, cutting boards, etc. Same goes for fruits and raw meat.
- Cook: A food thermometer can be your best friend. Print a charts of cooking temperatures, put it in a plastic bag and bring it with you.
- Chill: “The general rule is to never let food sit at room temperature for more than 2 hours, but once the temps reach 90 °Fahrenheit, that’s reduced to 1 hour.”
For more information on food safety at home, the Food Safe Families Campaign is your go to resource.
Disclosure: This is written on behalf of the Food Safe Families campaign (a partnership of the USDA, CDC, FDA, and Ad Council). No compensation was received.
Latest posts by Connie Roberts (see all)
- The Good Lie Movie with Reese Witherspoon #Giveaway - December 20, 2014
- Get the Holidays Right – Adopt or Foster Parent - December 18, 2014
- Finding the Perfect Gift with Well Gifted - December 15, 2014