May is Mental Health Month. This month is dedicated to bring awareness to the types of mental health disorders, treatments and how to recognize symptoms. Getting help is one of the most important issues dealt with during this time.
This year’s theme is Pathways to Wellness:
- Getting well and maintaining wellness leads to a living a productive life
- Mental health plays a major part in wellness
- It is important to get regular mental health check-ups. “Just as we check our blood pressure and get cancer screenings, it’s a good idea to take periodic reading of our emotional well-being.” from http://www.mentalhealthamerica.net/go/may
- Emotional wellness is a means to a more productive society
As someone who has mental health disorders, anxiety and depression, bringing awareness through Mental Health Month, to these types of issues is extremely helpful. Learning about the symptoms of these conditions and the available treatments can assist people to make the right decisions to get healthy.
Children’s mental health is also a large part of awareness. If diagnosed and treated early, there is a much better chance that as children mature they can lead normal lives. This is also a way to reduce the emotional pain that children go through. When parents understand the symptoms, they are more likely to get help quicker.
Reducing the stigma of mental health disorders is another issue that is tackled. The National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI) has a program called “Become a Stigma Buster”. When the ads, characters, etc. display stereotypes of people with mental illness, we must react. This organization provides a way to report incidents.
How you can Help:
- Speak up about your condition
- Help those close to you who display symptoms of mental illness
- Call out when people use language such as crazy, nuts, psycho
- Educate yourself about mental health
Mental Health Month is an ongoing effort to bring attention to mental illness. What have you learned?
Affiliate Link included