We take water for granted, but for many, safe water is lacking and is a precious commodity. This World Water Day, let’s focus on the need for safe water in developing countries. Even with our busy lives, a few minutes can make a big difference.
Just turning on a faucet brings clean water into our homes. We drink it, bathe in it, cook with it, and clean with it. But, “783 million people in the world do not have access to safe water”. (WHO/UNICEF) Consider walking miles to gather water, some of it so dirty and filled with parasites that it can kill.
Do you buy bottled water? Women and girls in poor countries who gather water would be thrilled if they could sell that water to you. Instead they spend hours carrying water, some as heavy as 40 pounds. It prevents them from working and attending school. It is a dangerous chore as they walk far from their community, where wild animals lie in wait, or there is a strong possibility of rape.
These are just a few of the problems caused by dirty water. Poverty, lack of play time, disease, lack of education, infant mortality, and short life spans can be attributed to dirty water. But helping is simple:
- Follow WaterAid America on Twitter and Facebook and share their posts on the #20ways that water is just the beginning of the road out of poverty
- Read, comment and share the World Water Aid Day posts from members of the Global Team of 200 #GlobalTeamof200
- Join the World Water Day Google+ Hangout at 1.30pm EST today, March 22 – WaterAid and other water organizations will be discussing the world water crisis and solutions in a celebration moderated by YouTube star Justine Ezarik
- Make a donation: as experts in practical, hands-on water solutions WaterAid has brought clean water to 17.5 million people. But they need your help to achieve their aim of helping 1.4 million more people this year
What are you doing to help during World Water Day?
As a member of the Global Team of 200, I am honored to share my personal opinion and information about World Water Day.
Latest posts by Connie Roberts (see all)
- Miche Bags: A Mix of Style and Social Responsibility - February 28, 2014
- End Newborn Death #FirstDay #GlobalTeamof200 - February 25, 2014
- Do I Look Fat in this Dress? - February 21, 2014