WaterAid is working to save children’s lives by providing access to clean water. They use a strategy of working with other organizations and keeping up to date on the individual needs in the various communities they serve.
Besides clean, safe water, WaterAid improves hygiene and sanitation, provides water sources that are located close to people and teaches children to become Hygiene Ambassadors.
“Around 700,000 children die every year from diarrhea caused by unsafe water and poor sanitation – that’s almost 2,000 children a day.”
(WaterAid 2012/WHO 2008/The Lancet 2012)
Children suffer a great deal from the lack of clean water:
- Water related diseases is the leading cause of Infant mortality
- Children are the most likely to suffer from diarrheal diseases (cholera, typhoid and dysentery)
- Young girls are often the ones to get and carry water home for long distances
- Many do not attend school regular because of illness or collecting water
“Since 1981, we (WaterAid) have reached 17.5 million people with safe water.”
Some successful outcomes from WaterAid are:
- Because water sources are close to home, children can collect water before and after school
- Latrines include smaller facilities for children and are painted in bright colors so more children feel comfortable using them
- Children are taught about hygiene by using puppet shows, games and songs. Some go on to teach others.
- Because of the access to clean water, growing and cooking food is easier. Children can eat healthier meals
- When children are healthy, they attend school more often, are happier and have fun like kids
A donation of only $25 gives access to clean water and improved hygiene and sanitation.
Think of children not having a basic necessity – safe, clean water. If that doesn’t pull at your heart strings, I’m not sure what will.
WaterAid helps people of all ages in needy countries gain access to clean water. What can you do to help?
Disclosure: This post is not compensated. I received information about this from nonprofit from the Global Team of 200 or which I am a member.
Latest posts by Connie Roberts (see all)
- Get the Holidays Right – Adopt or Foster Parent - December 18, 2014
- Finding the Perfect Gift with Well Gifted - December 15, 2014
- Long Night Documentary: Sex Trafficking in the United States - December 10, 2014