The Dove Self-Esteem Weekend is October 21 – 23. You can find information about activities for tween and teen girls that will inspire them to learn the real meaning of beauty. The goal of the Dove Movement for Self-Esteem is to bring together woman and girls who will talk about feelings, learn about role models and have fun while boosting their self-esteem.
One on One Activities – these work with moms and daughters, a girl and her mentor, etc.
- Decorate a notebook or sketchpad together and keep a log of inspiring quotations, compliments and positive comments other people have made about the girl in your life. Tuck in a few favorite photos or mementos that remind her of moments when she felt confident and beautiful or just had a great time. Whenever she has a moment of uncertainty, bring out the book to get her self-esteem back on track.
- Share five things you like about one another and five things you each like about yourself. Focus on physicality, personality and character traits.
- Create a soundtrack of songs that she enjoys and that make her feel good. She can listen to it to get pumped up for an important event like a soccer game or dance recital, or turn it on whenever she needs a lift.
Group Activities – Dove is working with the Girl Scouts, Girls Inc. and Girls and Boys Club of America. These activities can be used with any group of woman and girls. You can find one near you on the Dove Self-Esteem Weekend Activity Map on Facebook.
- Read a book together and have a guided discussion. Choose books that deal with various beauty topics and self-esteem issues.
- Pick and research a significant woman in history. Then, compose a written and visual report about her lifeâ€”accomplishments, obstacles she faced and overcame, etc. Answer the question, â€œWhat made this Woman beautiful?â€
You can download workbooks and other resources for more Dove Self-Esteem weekend activities. Don’t forget to join us! Add your activity to the map, change your profile picture on Facebook to spread the word that you’ve taken the 1 hour pledge, and answer the question, “Who inspired you to reach your full potential?”
What are some activities that you do to help your daughter with her self-esteem?
I wrote this post as a Dove Self-Esteem Champion. I’ll be receiving a Flip Video Camera for my participation. I believe in this initiative and am happy to share this information with my readers.