Celebrate Cinco de Mayo with an Ortega Healthy Taco Salad! We’re a taco family and eat them about once a week. Knowing that there’s a nutritious side to tacos with Ortega products, we’re going to add them as a staple to our meals now.
My version of an Ortega Healthy Taco Salad came from the Ortega recipe section. I was sure to use ground turkey instead of beef and low fat sour cream and shredded cheese along with Ortega Whole Grain Taco Shells and Ortega 40% Less Sodium Taco Seasoning. Here’s the recipe from Ortega (Easy Taco Salad)with my changes:
- 1 pound ground beef – I used Turkey
- Ã‚¾ cup water
- 1 ORTEGA Taco KitÃ‚ includes 12 taco shells, 1 package (1.25 ounces) taco seasoning mix and 1 package (3 ounces) taco sauce – I used Whole Grain Taco Shells, 40% Less Sodium Taco Seasoning and a few drops of Sauce
- 2 cups shredded lettuce – I used a salad mix
- 1 cup (1 small) red onion, chopped – didn’t use
- 1 cup (1 medium) chopped tomato
- 1 can (2.25 ounce) sliced ripe olives, drained – didn’t use
- Ã‚½ cup sour cream – I used low fat sour cream
- Brown beef; drain. Add water and seasoning mix. Heat until thickened, stirring often.
- Combine beef mixture with taco shells, lettuce, onion, cheese, tomato and olives; toss well.
- Combine sour cream and taco sauce in a small bowl. Serve as a dressing with the salad. Top salad with additional taco sauce, if desired. – No sauce for me, but my husband used it and loved it! I just added some dollops of sour cream.
The whole grain shells tasted great! I didn’t notice a difference in taste from other taco shells. And with the extra, yummy ingredients, I couldn’t tell that there was less salt in the taco seasoning. I was sure to add lots of salad mix (lettuce, carrots, red cabbage) and tomatoes and the dollops of sour cream added that nice touch.
The Ortega Whole Grain Taco Shells are an excellent source of fiber and include 16 grams of whole grains per serving (2 shells). The lower sodium seasoning has a delicious assortment of spices. Enjoy an Ortega Healthy Taco Salad or just plain old tacos with your family. Start a tradition of Taco Tuesdays with a more nutritious edge with Ortega.
This post was written for Family Review Network & Ortega who provided the complimentary product for review & giveaway in exchange for my honest opinions.