The Disney Social Media Moms Celebration is just 3 weeks away. It’s time to get prepared already! Since I go to Disney World quite often, here’s a list of tips for you that are both conference and Disney park related:
- Be sure to follow DisneySMMoms on Twitter and the hashtag #DisneySMMoms to get updates
- Check your email for information. You should have received your confirmation to the conference, your hotel confirmation and the list of speakers (along with a link to add your own information for the conference).
- There is a Disney Social Media Moms Celebration website that updates along with the emails as well. Bookmark that site.
- For the conference itself, you can dress resort casual – capris, walking shorts, skirts. I wouldn’t suggest jeans or short shorts.
- For the parks – Keep in mind that you will be photographed by other attendees and possibly Disney photographers. Although you may want to wear something skimpy to stay cool, consider dressing in the same vein of resort casual. The same goes for your family.
- The weather may surprise you. Last year, it was freezing and many of us wore jackets, hats and gloves. Check the weather before you leave! Bring sweaters or light jackets either way as it can get cooler at night. It may also get cold during the conference because of the air conditioning.
- Don’t leave your bathing suits at home. The Grand Floridian has 2 pools, which are heated, and a hot tub at the main pool.
- If you considering dining at a Signature Dining Restaurant or have already made reservations, the dress code is Business Casual.
- Comfortable shoes are a must. Remember that you will be visiting the parks and there is a lot of walking to be done. Don’t let blisters ruin your trip.
- Yes, bring your laptop. You’ll use it during the conference day and may want to write a blog post.
- Make friends and bring a power strip. I’m not sure if you’ll be able to plug it in, but last year there was a big lack of outlets.
- Don’t forget your business cards.
- Phone, camera, video camera, cords, etc. – all the tech gadgets you’ll need. Label everything.
- Your branded items – shirts, totes, etc.
- Your sponsor’s items.
- Any medications or vitamins that you take or may need. There’s nothing like feeling puny and not having something handy.
- Power bars, energy drinks or whatever keeps you going. The Grand Floridian rooms have a refrigerator in each room, by the way.
- Cash as well as you credit cards. Bring some small bills for tips.
- Government issued ID’s are needed for all adults in order to be admitted to the parks.
- You’ll receive your itinerary when you check into the Grand Floridian. Be sure to let you family know where you’ll be so you can meet up for the family events.
- Prepare for the wait time of check in, which is 3 PM EST. If you need to rest upon arrival you can request an earlier check in, but it is not guaranteed. Keep your smart phone handy and send out a tweet to see if anyone has a room where you can crash for a few hours.
- There is plenty of free time to go to the parks during this conference. If you are staying for just the 3 days, make your choice now of what park(s) you want to visit. You may want to decide on the attractions as well.
- See what attractions have fast passes, which will make your wait time lower.
- Don’t overdo it. It’s easy to say, but you want to be there mentally and physically to enjoy each moment.
- Keep in mind that it can be hot in the parks, especially at Animal Kingdom. The heat alone can make you tired. Plan accordingly. Bring water for everyone in your party. Make use of that hotel refrigerator.
- Get familiar with the Grand Floridian Resort before the conference. Check out what is are the must do’s there.
I wrote about the importance of networking at conferences after I attended IzeaFest inj 2009. Those tips hold true today. Please take a quick look at that post. Most of all, have fun while you’re at the Disney Social Media Moms Conference. Be ready for surprises that you never thought possible!
Are there any other tips you’d like to add?